The Homeland Security Scholarships and Grants Program
The areas of emphasis for homeland security are national security and crisis prevention. This is a broad area which is good news for anyone seeking a homeland security degree.
Science, mathematics, computer science, anthropology, languages, social science, forensics, social work, disaster management, law enforcement, public safety, investigative services, healthcare and medicine – all of these areas play a role in homeland security and research. The result? A variety of new degree programs, specialized concentrations, and a host of new scholarship opportunities are now available for students who wish to enter this dynamic field.
Scholarship Opportunities for Homeland Security Programs
About 100 scholarships of this variety are given out each year. If you’re in high school, the time to focus on your academics is now, since the provision of Homeland Security scholarships and grants is a competitive affair. The catch is that in return, you’re attached to the country’s security services for a few years. For those just starting out in the field, this is an opportunity not to be missed, as you’ll be rubbing shoulders with the bulwark of the country’s defense while still an undergraduate!
The Department of Homeland Security offers a few different programs and funding options for students who are at the beginning of their Federal service. Click on the links below to learn about each program or scholarship opportunity:
- Secretary’s Honors Program: This program offers professional development and training opportunities for “entry-level people focused on DHS careers in cybersecurity, information technology, management, emergency management, policy and law.”
- Pathway Programs: Check the links below for information about Federal internships for “students from high school through post-graduate school and to careers for recent graduates.”
- Health and Science
- Office of Health Affairs Volunteer Scholars Program
- DHS Scholars Program
- National HS-STEM Summer Internship Program
- Summer Research Team
- Nuclear Forensics Graduate Fellowship Program (NFGF)
- Nuclear Forensics Undergraduate Scholarship Program (NFUSP)
- Seaborg Institute Nuclear Science Summer Internship Program
- Nuclear Forensics Undergraduate Summer School
- Law Enforcement